Sunday, April 2, 2017

Two Years as a Titan

Trosper in his first game as a Titan, September 2015


Two years ago today, April 2nd, we made the decision to leave Mason County after 19 years and return to my hometown, Harrodsburg, to coach the football Titans at Mercer County. 

It was a tough time and a great time all at once. It seemed a little overwhelming when we jumped into it. But, because of great staff, players, bosses and a wonderful family, we have been able to make substantial progress in two years time. I am very proud of how far we have come to this point, but also realize we have a long way to go.

I miss my Mason County family, but I talk to those guys several times a week. I am very proud of them. It also confirms for me that it was time to move on and get out of their way.  Those guys have done a great job with those kids and program.  I enjoy hearing about what they are doing and it means a lot to me when they still call and get my thoughts. I also call to get their thoughts.  Those guys know their stuff and are very good at what they do. 

I drove over 6,000 miles from the time I took the job at Mercer until we finally moved in July. I am really glad I am not facing that travel this spring.  It makes me tired just thinking about that. 

The weather turned out to be a foreshadowing of the trials ahead. When I called to accept the job, we were in the middle of a hail storm in Maysville. The night of the press conference, there were tornado warnings around Harrodsburg.  I had no idea that we were facing an 0-5 start and that my Dad, who was not even sick when I took the job, would die of cancer in almost exactly 6 months.  Or, that two of my players would also lose their father. But, as a program, staff, family & team, we took care of each other.  God's hand and protection continue to be present. 

One of the constants for me in 25 years as a head coach is that we have had success because I always choose to hitch my wagon to great people. The bottom line in all of this.... THANK YOU to my players, staff, family & bosses that made this work and continue the effort required to make Titan Football the best it can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment