Saturday, April 8, 2017

JCB is 21

Happy 21st Birthday to my son, John Combs Buchanan!

Photos by the Maysville Ledger Independent & Cheri Johnson

Excerpt from Black Shoes & White Shoestrings:


It’s a great experience, as a dad to get a good look at the man your son will become. For me, that first moment came the Friday night at Highlands in JCB’s sophomore year.  We had been 1-7 over the past 8 weeks, stretching from 2011 to 2012.  That night in Fort Thomas, we were facing one of the best programs in the nation. 

Early in the season, I had decided that I did not need to choose captains or weekly awards any more because my son was on the team. That job would go to our assistant coaches. Moments before we would take the field, our coaches told me our captains for the night & one of them was JCB.

It was ironic they picked him because he & I were both in the doghouse with his mom and the rest of the family that night. They were not at the game and had hit the wall with me and my preference for making a tough schedule.  I will admit I had made a mistake. The perfect storm had hit and the schedule had taken a toll on our team, players, coaches, and my family.

As we walked to midfield, I can’t describe the emotion of getting ready to face the challenge before us, together. That game had been talked about over and over again in our house during the past year.  It struck me as we walked out for the coin toss JCB’s poise, confidence, excitement, and eagerness to face the challenge.  He played very well and our kids did great. We didn’t win, but we played very hard and our kids were not intimated.  After the game, JCB talked at length about how much he had enjoyed the total experience of playing the Bluebirds on their turf. That was his first night of being the man that God has called him to be- I could not have been happier or more proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment