Thursday, April 6, 2017

Another opportunity to learn- UK Spring Practice

This week Trosper and I were fortunate to attend two UK Wildcat spring practices.  I appreciate Coach John Schlarman making that possible for us this week. I have known him since he played for Coach Tom Duffy at Highlands back in 1992. John is an outstanding coach and person. He and the UK football staff are generous in allowing HS coaches access to their program during the spring.
Trosper has been a big fan of QB Walker Wood for a long time

Most days, it is a fight to get Trosper out of bed. But, to catch the early morning meetings and practices, he was willing to wake up at 4 am. He enjoyed those meetings and learned by hanging on to every word that Coach Gran and Coach Hinshaw shared during the video sessions.   What a great experience for a young quarterback.

As always when I watch a quality staff and program, it was a great time of learning for me. Again, I picked up some good special teams drills. As best as I could without getting in the way or asking too many questions, I was especially intrigued by the expansion of RPOs in the Wildcat offensive scheme.  We started messing around with RPOs at Mason County in 2012.  We are still ironing out many of the details. Coach Hinshaw and Coach Gran do a great job with the details and how they fit into their offensive system.


At both Centre & UK I was impressed with the demeanor of their players. They were polite, personable, and wonderful ambassadors for their programs & schools. As a head football coach, it is important to me that our guys represent our team well.  Centre & UK both hit a home run in that department.

I got to see Georgetown practice at the FCA clinic a couple Saturdays ago and was also impressed with their coaches, program, players & practice. Area football fans should be excited. 2017 will be a season of very strong college football in this area!

No comments:

Post a Comment