Friday, April 7, 2017

Old Coaches.... Help the Young Coaches


Billy & Boone Goldsmith after Boone's QB sneak on 4th & goal for a state title

This past Thursday after UK's practice,  Trosper & I invited our good friend, Coach Boone Goldsmith, to go eat lunch with us. Trying to help out a young guy, I bought him a cheddar burger at Charlie Brown's. He said he would have to get me a meal next time. I said, "No." I told him, "when you are an old coach like me, help out a young coach and buy him a meal."

Coach French & Coach Gruneisen bought me more than one meal. My first two years at Paris, most nights I ate a bowl of cereal or ramon noodles. On a good night, I ate a 99 cent pizza. When I started dating Stephanie, her mom would cook for us on Friday night. I would knock out the rest of the cornbread and butterscotch or chocolate pie around 10 pm. Her mom loved it. She had never seen anyone eat like me before. I sure can't eat like that now or I would be gaining weight like crazy.

Stephanie & her wonderful mom, Jan Trosper. I had the best mother in law, ever.

So.... old coaches.... we need these young guys. Our profession, these kids in our programs, need these young coaches. Buy them a meal and help them out. Young football coaches don't make much money.

Young guys.... when you are old like me, remember these thin times and help out a new, aspiring coach.

Now.... don't ask me about the cake that Jack Robertson got me for my birthday one year.  I need to keep this blog rated G. But, if you see Big Jack, make sure you ask him about it.

We may not make much money, but we do have alot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment