Friday, March 31, 2017

Getting out of your own little world



Some times it is good being the dumbest guy in the room. This was my second day visiting Centre College spring practice. I got to sit in on a defensive meeting, team meeting, QB meeting, and watch practice. I especially enjoyed the kick off return drill work they did today.

Football programs have their own language and verbiage. It is healthy for me to hear a different approach to the game. Football is football. But, the ways we can attack problems and teach the game can have multiple methods. I always think it makes me better when I see and hear a coach teach something in a different way and with different terminology.   It helps me grow as a coach.  It is a great reminder for me that even after 25 years as a head coach, there is a lot I don't know and I still have much to learn.  Experiences like this keep the game fresh for me and keep me on my toes.


Every chance I get, I try to visit quality programs that allow me access to their practices. At Mason County,  I went to Fort Thomas Highlands. Since moving back to Mercer County, I enjoy visiting Centre & Boyle County.  Adding Boyle to the schedule may affect that one a little, but being this close to Centre and the quality of their program is a gold mine for me.   Coach Frye may begin charging me admission to practice! When the day comes that learning & improving are no longer a priority, I will do my team a favor and give up coaching.  But for now, every chance I can get to learn and get better, I am going to take it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment