Thursday, December 29, 2016

Encouragers

I want to be like these guys.

When I say these guys, I am talking about Rick Litton & Mike Murphy.   You can make a long list of accomplishments for both of these men.  You can find hundreds of people that will give you a story on how Mike or Rick helped them in a time of need.

The plaque in honor of Murph we hung in the Mason County Football Locker Room


In particular, these guys had a special gift of encouragement. I could be at the  end of my rope as a coach. It might be a Saturday morning after a loss or maybe a day in the middle of a long & tough offseason following a disappointing fall.  Since I know God is the source of all good things, I don't think it was a coincidence that during those tough times, my path would cross with Rick or Mike. I could be very discouraged, but after 5 minutes with these guys, I felt totally different/better about the job I was doing as a coach. Those guys could make you feel like you were the best in the business.   It wasn't a rah rah type of talk. Their words were genuine. They believed in me, and helped me to hang in there.

JCB with Rick just a few days before we moved to Harrodsburg in the summer of 2015


Mike died in February of 2011. Rick passed away this past Christmas Day. These guys have left a legacy in how they touched others. I hope that I can be an encourager for others like they were for me and so many people. I hope I can make other people feel better like these two made me feel better. As the new year begins, I want to challenge all of us to be those encouragers and the type of people that look to help others.  Mike & Rick were guys that left a large, positive, & powerful impact on the people that crossed their paths. I hope that can be each of us in 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment