Wednesday, January 18, 2017

The value of the past and moving toward the future

I am writing this blog before our Perfection Workout this afternoon. What a blessing to be back in my hometown and getting ready for another season of football in central Kentucky. I am especially excited because we are renewing some old local rivalries, like getting to go to another Boyle-Mercer football game. I have been to several of those, especially in the 70s and 80s. And, we are playing at old Harrodsburg HS(Alvis Johnson Stadium). With the improvements made in the bleachers, lighting and playing surface, there is no better place for a HS football game. 

As I sit here with my laptop, at my side on the floor are two scrapbooks. One is from Boyle County, 1971 through 1973. The other is from Mercer County, 1974-1977.  Boyle County 1969 and 1970 have their own separate scrapbooks.  I think the past is important to me because I had such a great time growing up as a coach's son and then I loved playing HS football. When you add in all of the coaches, players, and wonderful people that have crossed my path over the years, since that time, I am blessed with many great memories.

Boyle vs. Frankfort, Kentucky Advocate Messenger, Sunday, October 17, 1971. Willie Washington is #22 for Frankfort. The Rebesl in the picture are Mark Lee (82), Ronnie Mayfield (45), Dickie Mayes (65) & Richie Bottoms (71).


 I have been accused of living in the past. And, I guess when you walk around with white shoestrings in your black coaching shoes and listen to your old music, you have to live with that as charged. 

But, I would argue that I am using the past to make me a better person, husband, father and coach in the present and future.  

Going forward, I am going to pick out a particular season, or month of the season, or event to remember and celebrate. And, I have the old music and scrapbooks to go with every bit of it. It may sound crazy. I am fine if you think that. As I have told others, I am crazy but not dangerous. 

So... why does it matter.  

James 1:17 says that "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from our Father...". Hebrews 13:8 says  "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."

Those great memories/experiences from the past are from my Heavenly Father.  I don't know what the future holds, but I know HE will be there. If there is more stuff ahead of me like I am celebrating today.... WOW!  

Which brings me to another point that I struggle with... worshipping the gift and not the Giver. I always remember that all good things go back to HIM.  

So, I am encouraging you.... remember those great times and remember the source of them. When you remember the tough times... for another blog in the future.... remember HE who delivered you.

For your enjoyment, here is my favorite song of all time. It was at the top of the charts when I was born, May of 1965.  Enjoy some old music.

I Can't Help Myself- Four Tops

And, no, I don't remember May of 1965 and being  few days old, but this is still a great tune from the past with many great memories over the years. 




No comments:

Post a Comment