Monday, December 26, 2016

Christmas Gifts for an Old Football Coach

I am tough to buy for. I don't fish, hunt or golf. And, one positive from that is that I don't spend a dime on any of that stuff. Football is my job, hobby & obsession. Stephanie always does a great job finding me something. 

One gift was a throwback jersey from Packer great Bart Starr!  Before I was a Tarkenton & Viking fan, I was a fan of Lombardi's Packers and their Quarterback. When I opened my jersey, I was very surprised and it was emotional for me.  I can't think of the old Packers without thinking of my Dad. It always makes me think of him and when I was a little guy. 

Not the Lombardi You thought You Knew- Maysville Ledger Independent
Stephanie & I, Christmas, 2016
Wearing my new Bart Starr jersey!

The other "football" gift was Daarik Gray's photo of Alvis Johnson Field. We just completed our first season playing at our new home, which was the home of Harrodsburg HS football and their great coach for so many years, Coach Alvis Johnson. No one has a better place to play than the Titans. 





I am excited to have this in our house, along with our "Flatwoods" sign, the picture of our old Mercer field, and the picture of the entrance to "Blanton Collier Stadium", the home of the Paris Greyhounds. We've got a bunch of stuff from our old stadium at Mason County as well.

Stephanie has a year to figure out another present. As long as she keeps me and doesn't get too frustrated being married for 25 years to an old football coach, I will be happy. God bless the saintly women who remain married to old football coaches like me. They have a special place in heaven!  

No comments:

Post a Comment