Monday, December 7, 2015

The blonde headed kid in the back of the church

When Stephanie and I were married back on May 30, 1992, we had a videographer record the event, including video facing the guests sitting in the sanctuary. In the back, you can see this little blonde headed boy, pretty restless, standing up in his dad's lap, I guess trying to see.... or, trying to leave the wedding!

About 7 years later, that same little boy and his dad drove to Maysville. That little boy, his dad, Dustin Grutza, Ty Sargent & myself, all went to this quarterback camp in southern Ohio. None of these guys were in HS yet. As it turned out, this little boy, Ty, & Dustin all became very good quarterbacks and football players.  They are also three of the best guys you could meet and vey successful adults.

Then, in 2005, that SAME little blonde headed young man was the QUARTERBACK for me when I coached the Kentucky All Stars versus Tennessee. It was sort of weird, because the year before, Dustin Grutza(who I had coached at Mason County) had been the Kentucky QB versus Tennessee. Like Dustin, the little blonde headed boy lead us to a win over Tennessee. But, what I remember the most, was standing on the field with him and our offensive coordinator, Chris Pardue. It was a timeout near the end of the game and we were ahead 41-27.  I said, "Let's run the clock out and make sure we win." The little blonde headed guy says, "I want to score again."  We finished the game with a bench-clearing near brawl. I hate to admit it, but it was sort of fun.

Well, that little blonde headed kid in the back of the church just won his first state championship as the head football coach at South Warren HS.  And, he is still really young!  His name is Brandon Smith. He played QB for his dad, Chuck Smith, at Boyle County.

Now, Chuck is still a GREAT football coach and a legend. But, I think it is safe to say,  everyday he becomes less and less, Chuck Smith, and is becoming BRANDON SMITH'S DAD. And, my guess is that Chuck is ok with that.

Congratulations to Coach Brandon Smith. Looks like that little guy in the back of the church turned out pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment