Tuesday, December 22, 2015

My two favorite #71s , their Lord & Savior & the Hallelujah Chorus


During my Dad's last few days, I would play some of his favorite music on my phone while he was in the hospital. His all time favorite song was Sally Go Round the Roses. It always reminded him of a big win against Illinois Wesleyan when he was in college.  During those last few days, we listened to some Mama's & Papas; Peter, Paul & Mary, etc while in the hospital.  I guess my Dad was a closet hippie. If you got to know him, you could see that side of him in his care for others. 

On the Thursday night he passed on, I was in the room with all 3 of my kids, as well as my sister and brother in law.  Early in the evening, we joked that we would appreciate it if the two #71s (Dad & John Combs[my son] )would be nice to the two #10 sissy quarterbacks ( me and my other son, Trosper). John Combs(JCB) and his granddad were always proud to be the men of the family, playing linebacker, defensive line, & offensive line. 

A little before 10 pm, my 3 kids left my Dad's room.  I think once they left, he felt like he could also.  I guess in his way of saying that us #10's are ok, when we saw him take his last breath, it was 10:10. 

Earlier in that evening, I had wanted my Dad to hear JCB play the piano in addition to the music we had listened to previously. Stephanie had JCB playing the Hallelujah Chorus on her facebook page from a performance with the Mason County HS Choir. I found that and played it for my Dad. JCB was a 1st Team All State Linebacker and he plays the piano at the same level of skill.

As I listened to my son's performance, it hit me that very soon my Dad would be in the presence of his Lord & Savior unlike he had ever before. The victory in that moment as I listened to my son on the piano was overwhelming. My Dad had fought the good fight, trusted his Lord & Savior, and was at the doorstep of his reward.

At this Christmas season, many of us are missing loved ones. I am sharing JCB playing the Hallelujah Chorus with the Mason County HS Choir for you. We may miss them, but the victory has been won because of our Lord & Savior. Celebrate His birth with JOY & HOPE.  God Bless you & Merry Christmas.

Hallelujah Chorus- John Combs Buchanan


My two favorite # 71s. Photo by Cheri Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment