Saturday, May 25, 2019

The Day I almost got my tail kicked bad at Bright Leaf Pool


In the spring of 1983, I was hired at Bright Leaf as a lifeguard and also to take care of any odd jobs or maintenance that was pretty simple. I don't know how to do a whole lot, but I was at least strong enough to replace a motel room AC unit. When it would be really hot, it seems like most days were spent carrying those AC units up and down the steps of the motel on a dolly. Those things could get heavy pretty quick.

Early in the spring of 1983, I was picking up trash in the parking lot. While doing so, an older guy drives up in a beat up pick up truck. His clothes are dirty and looks like he couldn't rub two nickels together. He gets out of his truck and is not happy about how the parking lot or grass in front of the parking lot looks. He says, "You tell Jerry (my boss) this needs to be cleaned up immediately"... in so many words. I have no idea who I'm talking to. I say, "Sir, can I tell Jerry who all of these instructions are from?" He says, "Sure. My name is Blankenship. I own the place." It was Buck Blankenship the owner of Bright Leaf.

When I did get to lifeguard, instead of "work", most of the time it was pretty good. One Sunday afternoon, though, I was in over my head. A group of golfers was finishing their 18 holes by playing bumper cars with their golf carts on the putting green.  Apparently they had enjoyed drinking a few beers through the day. Lucky me, they decided to come to the pool after playing golf. In this group, a handful of them were pretty big..... 6'4 or 6'5... probably around 250 lbs, etc.  They sat at a corner table with an umbrella at the pool and were having a pretty good time and loud.

My Boss's wife was an attractive lady. As she walks by those guys, they begin whistling and hollering. My boss comes walking down the sidewalk next to the pool. He makes eye contact with me. He snaps his fingers, points at the table of guys, and says, "David, take care of that!" I'm thinking.... good grief, what am I going to do??

I walk over to the table and say to them, "Guys, that is my Boss's wife. You can't do that." They stand up and I am looking up at all of them. The one right in front of me says, "You know, we can set you on your ear right now." I said, "Yes, I know that. I am just doing my job. You can't yell at her."  I guess he felt sorry for me. He told me he understood and ok, that they would leave her alone. To say I was relieved would be an understatement!

If you go to Bright Leaf Pool for Memorial Day weekend, have a great day. And, please don't whip the lifeguard!


No comments:

Post a Comment