Wednesday, May 22, 2019

John's Grandson

Sunday JCB graduated from Centre. On Monday, he and Caroline got engaged. Here is a reprint of the last column I wrote for the Maysville Newspaper in 2014. It is also in Black Shoes & White Shoestrings

John Combs and the other #71, my Dad. Photo by Cheri Johnson

What got me writing this column was being a coach’s son. So, it seems that I should make my last column about a coach’s son- my son, John Combs Buchanan (JCB). 

The most unique part of raising JCB in Maysville has been to see him become an outstanding pianist. As a young dad, the thought never crossed my mind, “I hope my son can play the piano.” This community has helped to make that happen, and CJ Hunter was the biggest part of that development. Both sides of our family have wanted JCB to continue playing the piano. I know if Stephanie’s mom had been able to hear him play she would have been overwhelmed by his ability. This is one of the few places that appreciate his music more than his football. But, for me, it is a lot harder to find an inside linebacker in Mason County than it is to find someone that can play the piano.

It’s a great experience, as a dad to get a good look at the man your son will become. For me, that first moment came the Friday night at Highlands in JCB’s sophomore year. We had been 1-7 over the past 8 weeks, stretching from 2011 to 2012. That night in Fort Thomas, we were facing one of the best programs in the nation. 


Early in the season, I had decided that I did not need to choose captains or weekly awards any more because my son was on the team. That job would go to our assistant coaches. Moments before we would take the field, our coaches told me our captains for the night & one of them was JCB.

It was ironic they picked him because he & I were both in the doghouse with his mom and the rest of the family that night. They were not at the game and had hit the wall with me and my preference for making a tough schedule. I will admit I had made a mistake. The perfect storm had hit and the schedule had taken a toll on our team, players, coaches, and my family.

As we walked to midfield, I can’t describe the emotion of getting ready to face the challenge before us, together. That game had been talked about over and over again in our house during the past year. It struck me as we walked out for the coin toss JCB’s poise, confidence, excitement, and eagerness to face the challenge. He played very well and our kids did great. We didn’t win, but we played very hard and our kids were not intimated. After the game, JCB talked at length about how much he had enjoyed the total experience of playing the Bluebirds on their turf. That was his first night of being the man that God has called him to be- I could not have been happier or more proud.
JCB & Caroline after a big November Playoff Win in 2013. He is still mad I made him wear the neck roll from 1970.

Our first game his junior year was a strong reminder he was growing up on me a lot faster than I wanted. I was walking in to the locker room after taking care of some things on the field. As I turned the corner, I saw him talking to his girlfriend, Caroline, and a couple of her friends. He never saw me. We had won, he had played well, and I was glad he was so happy. Later that night I went back for a walk on our field, something I often do after a ballgame. In the past, I usually had JCB with me for those. But, this night I was by myself and I really missed him being there. It reminded me of something I had heard my dad tell my mom when I was growing up. He had said, these kids don’t belong to us, they belong to God, and it is our job to raise them for the day they are no longer here. Stephanie disagrees! But, I understand what he meant and I try to celebrate the memories and that I see him becoming the man God called him to be, even though I will really miss him when he is no longer under our roof.

One of the toughest conversations I ever had with my dad was when he told me we were leaving Boyle County. I was devastated. My dream had been to wear a gold helmet just like my heroes Charlie Mayfield, Robert Allen Yankey, James Terrance, Lee Glasscock, James Scruggs, Dickie Mayes, Monty Wilkerson and those other Rebel football players. As I look back on it, I realize God’s plan is the best plan and I would not trade the relationships and experiences I gained wearing a red helmet at Mercer. Still, I really wanted JCB* to get to wear a BLUE helmet, like his heroes wore when he was growing up. He wanted that and I did too. 

Most coaches don’t get to be in the same place for 19 years, but that has worked out for our family. There have been some great players (both in regards to talent & effort) and coaches, very supportive friends, and a community that made that happen. My son got to play for a great staff of assistant coaches and wear a blue  helmet. I was on the front row for every bit of it. Thank you.

*Trosper is as excited about being a Titan as John Combs was about being a Royal!

Photo by Arpan Dixit of the Harrodsburg Herald



No comments:

Post a Comment