Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Podcast Music.... where does it come from?

 Every week we change up the opening music for our podcast. Chuck and Donald Mac have been kind enough to let me choose our music. 

For most all of us, we have strong memories that are connected to music. That certainly comes out for me each week when our Podcast gets cranked up. 

Early in the season, it's probably an old tune from a hot August or September Friday night in central KY.  October is a great month for football, and usually reminds me of homecomings from long ago. As a head football coach, I always enjoyed going to the Homecoming Dance and seeing our kids happy after a big win. In our Paris days, I had to hustle to the Homecoming Dance because Stephanie was in charge of it since we were both teaching there at the time. We both enjoyed those nights being with our kids. 

This past fall, one weekend was like a snapshot of heaven. My Dad's old players(Boyle County) invited me to their Class Reunion for 1970 and 1971. Here I am with Stephanie, sitting at a table with two of my heroes and their wives (Monty & Wanda Wilkinson, Ervin & Paula Vanover) from when I was 4 years old, listening to the old music that I love. A big reason I have loved that old music for 50 plus years, it reminds me of those wonderful people and great times. It was overwhelming and really, almost too good to be true.

Hanging out with Monty Wilkerson

November music... it goes to a whole other level. Until 1986, I had never experienced November football.

Now, our crosstown rivals, the Harrodsburg Pioneers, were still playing after the leaves fell from the trees,  across the street from our house in Green Acres. My Dad and I would walk up the street and watch Henry Parks, Nick Yeast, Venus Meaux, and those very good teams in blue and white. It was cold and they were awful good. 

As it turns out, my last game coaching the Titans at Alvis Johnson Field was a cold November playoff game. That last ballgame during pregame, I looked up where my Dad and I would stand and watch those games. Yes, missing him. But, even more, counting my blessings... and too many to count. 

JCB, Trosper, & Larry Harris, November of 2021
Our last game & win @ AJ

I can also remember (November of 1977) going to Shelby County to watch Chris Jones and the Danville Admirals, coached by our wonderful friend, Steele Harmon. That was probably the LAST game I ever saw a HS player wear a tear-away jersey. He was a GREAT player. 

But, my point... I WAS JEALOUS. I wanted to experience November football. It finally happened in 1986 at Mercer County when we won the first district and region championships in school history, reaching the state semifinals. After that, what a blessing the next 36 years to coach a bunch of teams that were good and could make a run in November. 

And, it always meant the most when we could go in as the district champion... because that is how it was in the old days, you had to win your district to even make it to November.  

Or, if went in as a 2nd or 3rd seed, and found yourself in the quarterfinals or even semifinals, those were good weeks of November football. 

Those old songs from November in the 70's sounded pretty good when we were finally playing football ourselves in the postseason.  

And, it's not just the really old songs.  Until the day I die, when I hear Clocks by Coldplay I will feel the cold wind blow, and see that snow flying across my face, just like it did the Friday after Thanksgiving in Fort Thomas, in November of 2003.  Sometimes, blowing snow, freezing cold wind and being unable to feel your face... is a good thing.

  

2003 Semifinals, Mason Co. at Highlands


No comments:

Post a Comment