Monday, October 17, 2022

The Last Snap: October 1983



My college football career amounted to being the scout team QB at Centre College. Yes, I was at the bottom of the depth chart. But, everyday, I got to play QB against the first string defense and to say I enjoyed every snap would be an understatement. Those were great days. 

 In the car today, on the radio, was the countdown of the Top 40 from this week in 1983. It sure brought back a bunch of memories to my last day of football. 

It was a Wednesday (October, 1983). I remember heading down that hill to the practice field. It was a sunny, cool day. Perfect. Everyday in class I would look forward to the afternoon and this was going to be another great day. 

Early in team defense that afternoon, throwing the ball to my left, one of our scout team lineman got caved into the outside of my right knee. It hurt bad. I struggled to put weight on it. And, it felt strange. But, after missing one play, I could walk on it. In those days it was sort of standard... if you can walk, you play. No one coerced me. I WANTED to play. I jumped back in the huddle and kept going. About 5 plays later, rolling to my right, I planted my weight on that right leg to throw the ball. I felt a big pop in my knee and hit the ground. At 18 years old, that was by far the worst pain I had ever experienced.

After that pop, the knee started burning. My teammate, Charlie Royse, tried to help me cope with the pain. I remember squeezing his hand inside of those lineman gloves (black, padded, open fingers). I can still see those gloves. I will always appreciate Charlie for being there and trying to help me. The sky seemed particularly sunny and blue. I guess when you're on your back, staring up into the October sky, it will seem that way. 

As it turned out, I had a torn ACL. And, it also turned out, that was my last play of football, ever.  When the day started, I had no idea I would be facing one of the most significant milestones in my life, ever. 

I don't have much in common with my Quarterback heroes growing up, Bart Starr and Fran Tarkenton. But, one thing I do have in common with both of them,  every player in Canton, and every HS kid that will take the field this Friday night, we all have our LAST SNAP. It may be an injury, graduation, or just a decision to hang up the cleats. It may be in practice, or a game, even the Super Bowl.  But, we all have our LAST SNAP.

As we head toward the end of October, alot of guys are facing their last snap over the next few weeks.   Be the best you can. Enjoy it. Feel great about your effort and investment that you give your teammates on the field, in the weightroom, and preparing each week. Be in the moment. Be where your feet are. It is a special, special time. 

When I scratch the inside of my right knee, I feel it on the outside. Very strange sensation. But, I am thankful for anything that reminds me of a bright, sunny, cool, perfect October day, playing football... even if it was the last one of all.



 




No comments:

Post a Comment