Monday, December 7, 2020

Victory in Christ.... How I will remember my Mom

 

1966, Alexandria Drive- Lexington, KY



Yesterday my Mom passed away. It was a joyous day because it ended decades of suffering. My Mom has fought severe mental illness  for many, many years. Ever since I was ten years old, I would pray that God would heal my Mom. The way that I wanted her to be healed, it never happened. 

I sure don't have all the answers. But, through my Mom's fight with mental illness, I  did witness God's strength and love.  I saw it in my Dad and the way he loved my Mom... no matter what she would say or do. No matter how sick she was.

I saw God's love and strength in their Sunday School Class, and their Pastors,  at Centenary United Methodist Church, in the way they supported my Mom and Dad when my Dad was fighting cancer.  

God's love and strength was alive and well in the Maysville Nursing Home. In December of 2018, my mom was placed under Hospice care. She lived two years after that! Unheard of. But, they loved her so much, and worked so hard to care for her, they kept her alive even though all indications were she would die in a matter of weeks. 

I will recognize Jesus when I get to heaven because He will look like Lynn & Steele Harmon. We moved to Danville in 1969. Steele was the football coach at Centre and my Dad was the coach at Boyle County. They became lifelong friends. During some of the rockiest times these past 50 years, Steele's friendship kept my Dad going. Lynn and Steele both went above and beyond to love my family through some of our toughest times. 

My Mom's illness was incredibly difficult for her and our family. I didn't get the healing that I prayed for while she was on this earth. But, I did get to witness and experience, over and over again, God's unfailing love. And, today, my Mom is healed by the blood of Jesus Christ. The victory that was won yesterday, only Christ could win. She has eternal life. She is with my Dad. She is now more whole, happy, and herself than she has ever been. 

I could tell you some pretty awful stories about things my Mom did or she said. When I saw her on Thursday, the accumulation of hurt and illness was apparent in her face and her body. It was overwhelming. It was a burden that only Christ could bear. But, all that hurt and illness... that is NOT my Mom. 

When I was 4 years old, December of 1969, my Dad had just finished his first season at Boyle County. One Friday night after a basketball game, we had a Christmas party for my Dad's players and their girlfriends. I remember that night well. We might as well had the Green Bay Packers at the house. Those guys were my heroes.  I remember my Mom and Dad being so happy to have those kids in our home, the Christmas tree up, and my Mom in the kitchen making those Christmas cookies. I am not sure I ever remember my Mom & Dad happier than they were in that moment on Carrigan Drive in Danville. 

My Mom that night... that is EXACTLY how I will remember her. Stephanie told me today.... the way she was that night, that is who she WANTED to be. Today.... she is that person, but even better. 

The hurt, the ugliness, illness... sure, I know that all happened in the past. But, they will not define my Mom. I will choose to remember her at her best. I will choose to live in the knowledge that TODAY and for eternity, she is healed, well, happy, & with my Dad. 

God's timing is not our timing. But, nothing can overcome the love of Christ that lead Him to the cross. 

This Christmas, I will remember that December night, the kids in our home,  my Mom in that kitchen, making those cookies, and how happy she and my Dad were. I will thank God that He sent His Son, over 2,000 Christmases ago because He loves us.  All Praise, Honor & Glory to Jesus Christ. Merry Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment