Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Vince Kinder... Harrodsburg HS Football ... and a kick in the "tail"

Vince Kinder, early 70s, Harrodsburg HS
photo from Danville Advocate Messenger


Tonight I was with a group of our coaches at Casa Grande here in Harrodsburg. A gentlemen comes up to me, asks if I am David Buchanan, and introduces himself as Vince Kinder.

Vince was an outstanding player at Harrodsburg HS in the early 70s. I remember my Dad talking about him.

He proceeds to tell me how much he thought of my Dad and then a story I had never heard before.

One night when my Dad was the head football coach at Boyle, Vince made a tackle on the Boyle sideline in  a muddy ball game. According to Vince, my Dad kicked him in the "tail'" and said... "Nice tackle Kinder. Next time don't make it so close to me!"

Vince told me that when he would see my Dad since that ballgame, they would tell that story and laugh about it.

That was a new one for me. But, I can see my Dad doing that. I wouldn't do that now, of course. But, in the early 70's, I can see that happening, and it not being that big of a deal.

Incidents like tonight are one of my favorite things about being back in my hometown. Every time I hear a new story on my Dad, or someone comes up to talk about him, for just a second, it feels like my Dad is standing next to me.  Really can't put into words how wonderful those moments are and I am very thankful for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment