Friday, May 18, 2018

Who do we sound like.... act like???

1974 Mercer County Scotties

Coaching HS football in your hometown, and following in your Dad's footsteps, can be pretty cool some times.

We went to eat lunch this afternoon in Harrodsburg. A gentlemen says to me, "Are you the football coach?" I say, "yes sir." He says, "What is your name?"  I tell him. 

He goes on to tell me that he played for my Dad and that he was on the first two teams in school history to have winning seasons at Mercer County. He says that my Dad worked them very hard but they wanted to do it for him.

I knew exactly who he was! And, I could call him by name. He still looks the same as he did in 1975.  Some times when I see those old players I leave them alone. I realize not everyone wants to talk about HS football from 40+ years ago.... even though I could talk about it all day.  I was really glad he brought it up.

The part that got my attention was after we finished talking and I was leaving. I was about to walk out the door and he ran and grabbed my arm. He says, "I had to ask if it was you. You talk just like your Dad. You sound just like him."

People say that to me alot. Although it makes me feel good to hear that, it also makes me really want to hear my Dad's voice one more time. I know I will again someday because of our Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ.

Today's incident gave me more to think about.  I do sound like my Dad and that is good. But, more importantly, do I treat people the way he treated them? Do I have the character that he had?

What about my Heavenly Father?  Do the words that come out of my mouth sound like something He would say?  Are my words pleasing to Him?  Can you recognize who my Heavenly Father is? Or, would people be shocked to know I have a relationship with Jesus Christ?

The tough answer is that I often fall short. God's grace is sufficient, but I still want to do much better serving Him. If I am going to SOUND like John Buchanan, the content of my words and character should be such that would make him proud and also please our Heavenly Father.  

Colossians 3:23





No comments:

Post a Comment