Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The Mr. Basketball Question..... THREE???

Seygan Robins & Trevon Faulkner, 2018 Miss & Mr. KY Basketball
 believe it or not..... I coached Seygan's dad & brother ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€.
Photo by Harrodsburg Herald

So here we go again! One of my players, Trevon Faulkner, was named Mr. KY Basketball last night!  I am super proud of him. It is especially neat because Miss Basketball is also a Titan, Seygan Robins. She is a wonderful young lady and has lead our school to two state championships.

Trevon makes the THIRD FOOTBALL player I have coached to win Mr. KY Basketball!  The first two were Chris Lofton & Darius Miller at Mason County.  How does a FOOTBALL coach get to coach THREE Mr. Basketballs??

The number one reason is it is a blessing from God. There is nothing I did to deserve it. I am just thankful these three wonderful young men crossed my path, who also happened to be tremendous athletes.

I do think a reasonable question though is how do you make it work?  How does a guy make a commitment to a football team and also remain committed to being a great basketball player?

First of all, football made all three of these guys better in basketball. They were tough guys already, but football helped them in the physicality aspect of basketball.  No one is going to push these guys around on the basketball court. 

On their end of it, it only worked because all three were high character guys that were committed to their teammates.  I had to be flexible with summer workouts because of their demanding AAU schedules. Also, we get spring practice done in March so that they can get back to AAU in April. But, when those guys were available in the spring and summer and we had football practices or workouts, they were there. 

I can tell you this... Trevon Faulkner was at EVERY spring football practice last year. The total number of unexcused absences for football workouts and practices for Faulkner, Miller & Lofton.....ZERO.

Darius Miller as a WR @ Mason County HS

I like it when things go well for great people. This certainly applies to these three young men. And, wow, I am so thankful I got to be there coach. What an honor & blessing. 

I am looking for a good lawyer. When I start getting phone calls from great basketball players that want to be #4, I will need a good defense against the recruiting violations.  I promise to follow all KHSAA rules!  

Crazy but great. 

To Trevon, Darius & Chris..... THANK YOU from your old coach. What a blessing you have been and you still are!  

To their families..... THANK YOU for letting me coach your son!


Chris Lofton Jersey Retirement: Thompson-Boling Arena, January 2023 

The funniest part of all..... my first varsity basketball game  as a Mercer County HS Scottie, I fouled out in one quarter. God picked the worst basketball player in KY HS Basketball history to coach these 3 guys in football. We will get to Heaven and realize God has an incredible sense of humor!






No comments:

Post a Comment