Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Talking points.... Service, Unselfishness & Respect

We just completed our spring practice at Mercer County HS and we have had a very productive two weeks despite some unusually bad spring time weather.... including two snow days.  On Friday, we met as a team to watch video of our spring scrimmage and to distribute t-shirts to all the guys with no unexcused absences during our spring practice.

So.... what happens next?

Before breaking up into positions for video, we had a team meeting to discuss our program going forward. The obvious is we must continue in the weightroom to get stronger and be more explosive. But, there are some tangible things we can work on to become better teammates and a better team. Here is what we discussed:



Our team meeting on Friday gave me some talking points today in the hallway and in the lunchroom. 

Questions like:
1- Since last Friday, what have you done to serve others?
2- Since last Friday, what have you done that was unselfish?
3- This week at school, have you acted in a way that would earn respect?  Or, have you acted in a way that would make people lose respect for you, say negative things about you?



It gave our guys something to think about today and I enjoyed watching them as they tried to answer. I also enjoyed that we could have a conversation about something other than football. What we were talking about will help make them more successful young men. But, I also believe that it will make us a better football team and help us win games and championships in the fall. And, it will make Mercer County Senior HS a better school. 


At the FCA clinic this past weekend, 2 of the 4 speakers discussed leadership and culture. I have already had one coach of a very successful program tell me that his focus is on developing leadership in his program this spring.


The biggest lesson I learned during our 2017 season was that it is  no longer enough to expect hiring quality assistant coaches and running the program correctly to create the leadership and culture we want. I had to learn the hard way that I must be deliberate in getting our guys to provide leadership and work with the effort and attitude we need to be successful.


To be clear, we have outstanding young men at Mercer County. But, we have got to change the way we think.  We are making progress in that area. And, this really helps me evaluate... Am I leading in the right way? Am I thinking the right thoughts?  Am I serving my school, staff, players, & family?  Do I act in a way that earns respect?


Those are some tough questions. I think I will stop there! But, if we can all answer those questions well, we will be a better team this fall. And, more importantly, we will help our guys become successful husbands, fathers, and men.  I am fired up to ask more questions tomorrow at school. And, to our parents, fans, adults in the community, teachers..... please ask our young men these questions.  I love Friday nights and football.... and there is a bunch of GREAT stuff that goes with it!



No comments:

Post a Comment