Sunday, September 18, 2022

The LAST Third Down

Ernie, Stephanie & Trosper celebrating the 2011 victory over Tennessee from section 232

My father in law, Ernie Trosper,  has been a UK football and basketball fan his entire life. For football games, he spent almost 50 years of Saturdays in Section 232(before the renovation & now, Kroger Field) of Commonwealth Stadium. The 232 crowd could get pretty vocal when things were not going well.  He would get just as angry as anyone else. 

When my father in law got frustrated, he started making bets on 3rd down. He would always bet a quarter and he would bet that the CATS would not get a stop or they would not get a 1st down. Now, he was FOR the CATS and wanted them to win. But, when he would hit the wall, he started making those bets. He would get out his quarter and smack it down on the ledge right in front of his seat.  

This past Saturday turned out to be his last UK game, but we were watching it on TV. I am not sure how much he was aware of what was going on, but the best we could, we were trying to do normal things, and watch the UK football game together. The CATS were facing a 3rd & 7 on the Youngstown State 16. Sitting next to him, I said, "Coach, I will bet you a quarter they get it. " Sure enough, Will Levis hit Tayvion Robinson across the middle for a 1st down. I told him, "Coach, not only did I win the quarter, they almost scored!"

That turned out to be one of his last 3rd downs. He died just a few moments later. He has had a rough road but fought a great fight. My wife Stephanie made every 3rd down taking care of her Dad, and he knew that. He never bet a quarter against her. 

I am not sure how heaven works, but I can picture him and my mother in law eating Kettle Corn and watching the 2nd half from 232, Saturday afternoon. No more smacking quarters on the ledge. 


My Father In Law, 1st All American @ Union College... great shooter




No comments:

Post a Comment