Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Making a Significant & Positive Impact as a Parent: Three Simple Steps

This morning I had a QB workout with Paul Briney & Kamden Morley at Nelson County HS. It was my second workout with Kamden and third one with Paul. They have both continued to work and do the drills. Their improvement really stood out. I am proud of both young men.... they are workers and well on their way to being good HS quarterbacks.  



Paul is right-handed. Rolling to his right, he struggled a little with some details. We got those things ironed out pretty well. When it was time to work the left side, I told him, "Today is my Dad's birthday. He always told me, 'right handed quarterbacks throw better when they roll to their left because they have to get their shoulders square when they go to the opposite arm.' " Sure enough, Paul works bootleg to his left three times, all three passes are right on the money.  I had to smile and it felt like my Dad was having a chuckle as well. 



Even after seven years since he passed away, my Dad's words and actions absolutely live on in my heart and mind. Why is that?  

He did these three things:

1- He was present.

2- He did the right thing. (Most of the time)

3- He said the right thing. (Most of the time)

He had to work long hours, often. But, if he could be with me, he was. Or, he found a way to take me with him. His example was big. As I got older, he let me make most of my decisions.  Because I wanted to be like him, most of the time, I could figure it out.  His example had a much bigger impact on me than any list of do's and don'ts. I have tried to be the same with my own children. 

If we want to make a lasting, positive impact on our children, we need to be present when we can, do and say the right things. Not sure what to do or say?  Get out our Bible! 

When our kids are adults, and they hear our voice and remember our example, lets make sure the content will help them be the very best version of themselves and all that God has called them to be!




No comments:

Post a Comment