Sunday, May 9, 2021

Dr. King, Bluto & General Eisenhower....what they might have in common


 I love Bluto's speech at the end of Animal House when he mocks his fraternity brothers for being scared. 

Over the years, in several situations, I've had friends, well-meaning, caution me about what I say and who I say it to. I appreciate them looking out for me.  And, there have been times their wisdom was needed. 


But,  I always hate to see how we can fear influential people. Or, we can fear speaking out for what is right.  In those times, I always imagine telling General Dwight Eisenhower before he launched the D-Day invasion, what we are "scared" of. I think he would get a chuckle. Or, telling Dr. Martin Luther King in the heart of the civil rights struggle, what we are scared to say.  Would he smile?  Roll his eyes? Or, maybe think..."Good grief... I wish that was all I was facing."

The Bible says that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. (Proverbs 9:10) Sometimes, we don't fear Him enough. I might make the argument.... maybe we are scared of the wrong things.  But, this fear of speaking up for what is right to the establishment... I want no part of it and I sure don't want us to pass that on to the future generations. 

Tomorrow, go be you. Don't be stupid. But, don't be scared. If you do get scared, just imagine Bluto teasing you, or having to explain to the greatest general and greatest civil rights leader of all time, what you fear.  Let me know how that conversation goes! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment