Friday, February 21, 2020

One of the things we want to leave for our kids, all of us... when we leave this earth



Yes, the title is a little different. Thought I would get straight to the point.

I was in the bank today. On my way out the door, a gentlemen hollers at me to come back inside. I had never met the man. I am use to people yelling at me that I don't know... it 's usually on a Friday night after a play goes poorly.

This time, it was really good. He introduced himself and told me that he knew my Dad. He had bought vehicles from my Dad. He remembered my Dad as a teacher at both Boyle County and Danville. In telling me how much he thought of John Buchanan, he highlighted how much my Dad loved his students and how he looked out for them... especially his students with special needs.

His words and remembrances made my day. Whenever someone is talking to me about my Dad, I feel like he is right there next to me, even if just for a second. And, I am really proud of my Dad. Now, please understand, I am well aware that my Dad made a bunch of people mad, often, over the years. But, he really cared about other people, especially his players and students, and always tried his best to do the right thing.

It got me thinking, and also made me a little nervous... when I die, what will people say about me when they walk up to my kids?

The more I thought about it, it inspired me that each day when I get up, go to work, and interact with others, I need to do so in a way that would make my children proud. Now, I am not saying I need to get people to like me... that is a waste of time... trying to please people.

But, I most definitely need to do my best, to be the best person that I can be. I don't want them telling JCB, or Emma, or Trosper... "Boy, I remember your Dad was all about himself." Or, "I remember your Dad one night after a loss, acting like a complete idiot."

No, that is not what I want at all. I want my kids to be proud of me, just like I am proud of my Dad.

Next Monday when we start our week, it might help us to imagine a stranger talking to our kids someday in the future. What we are about to say or do.... will our kids be proud of us?

I sure hope so. In those moments, I want my kids to have the same experience I had today.  I will most definitely get to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment