Monday, December 16, 2019

Exit Interviews... Making an adjustment... Christmas Cookies instead




Every year we have exit interviews with our guys. Some times those can get a little intense. This year we are taking a different approach and here is why.

We practice on Wednesdays at 6 am. Our last Wednesday morning practice, we all had frost on the tops of our shoes or cleats. It was pretty cold. It was one of those days I could tell our guys were getting tired of hearing my voice. In holding our guys accountable, we did quite a few grass(frost) drills that morning. When it was all said and done, we had a productive practice.  It just took a little extra frost in their face, chest & hands to get their attention.

To our guys credit, even though they were hitting the wall with me, not one young man was disrespectful or said anything out of line. I could tell that although they were frustrated, they were going to try to continue to do what needed to be done, the best they could. That meant alot to me. Even though it was a tough day they still showed respect and tried. I was frustrated because I need to find a better way to lead and get our guys to prepare and perform at a high level.  I even called some old, successful coaches that day, to get ideas on how I can be a better coach to get my guys through a time like that in our season.  But, it confirmed what I have thought all along, I am coaching really good young men.

So, this year instead of exit interviews, we are having Christmas cookies during finals week. The guys can come to my office through the day to get a Christmas cookie. There will be no exit interviews this year. When I told my oldest son, John Combs, "I am keeping it light this year." His sarcastic response was "You're really good at 'keeping it light'! " He knows me well, but I am going to try!!



After Christmas, we will have informal conversations. We will start back in the weightroom no later than January 6th. Our Perfection workouts will start up on January 8th. We will meet as a staff. I've got a lengthy list of things that need addressing &  improvement. But, for now, we'll eat a cookie and say, "MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment