Thursday, April 4, 2019

Coach Cal, Coach K & Colossians 3:23

One of the best parts of being a dad, playing basketball with Trosper on a warm spring night over the years

Coach Cal and Coach K sure don't need me to defend them. Those guys have had incredible careers and I can't imagine anyone a better fit for the programs they lead. But, the social media criticism of these guys who are at the top of their profession, despite the fact that they lost the last game they coached,  is a great reminder that pleasing people is an impossible task.  

Colossians 3:23 says... "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters". (NIV)

Aaron Hogue, the leader of the University of Kentucky's Fellowship of Christian Athletes, explained to the HS coaches at our clinic a couple weeks ago, that we are all performing for an "audience of One."  That "One" is Jesus Christ.

A few years ago, a parent told me that she would hate to have my job and trying to keep everyone happy. I explained that I am not trying to keep anyone happy!  That would be impossible. Even if that was my goal, every decision I made to please one group of people would make another group angry, or they would disagree, etc. Pleasing people is impossible and is therefore a waste of time.  I told the parent, I do what is right and let the rest take care of itself.

Colossians 3:23 helps me to focus and keep the noise out. Ultimately, I answer to ONE, my LORD & Savior, Jesus Christ. That focus is liberating. Your guide becomes God's Word... not trying to read people's mind and figure out how to keep everyone happy with you or liking you. He rescues me from the impossible task of pleasing people. 

If you are chasing your tail, trying to please people, you will reach an incredible level of exhaustion and frustration. Quit wasting your time, and SERVE HIM. Serve the One who gave His all for You.



No comments:

Post a Comment