Wednesday, June 6, 2018

I'm still trying to catch my breath...THE HIT.... November 2000

2000 Mason County Royals were the EKC Champs & these guys made all conference:
Wade Cloyd, Matt Gilbert, Mitchell Thomas, Nathan Myrick, Harry Lewis (player of the year), Adam Zeigler, Bryan Purcell & Justin Merrill
Today I was in Maysville visiting my Mom and saw a bunch of good people, including Justin Merrill in Pasquales. Justin started at outside linebacker for us on a very good Mason County team in 2000.  He went on to play football at Union College, get his degree, and then became a member of the Maysville Police Department.

I am very proud of Justin but there is one memory of him that stands out more than the others. In November of that season we were getting ready for a playoff game. I was running scout team quarterback and Shawn Thompson, our defensive coordinator had called a stunt to blitz Justin on a pass rush.

Normally, you don't destroy the scout team QB, especially if it is a coach and he is not wearing any pads. Justin takes off on his blitz, plants his facemask in my chest and flattens me on the practice field. I hit the ground so hard it took my breath... which is much more painful when that happens AND you do it from landing on your back!

When I finally could speak, I said to Justin, "What were you doing? Thinking?" He said something like, I don't know coach.... I just went... I wasn't even thinking about it.  The kids and coaches were stunned but you couldn't help but laugh!

As it turned out, I got up and finished practice running the scout team. But, to this day, I make sure if Justin Merrill is around, I know exactly where he is and I keep my eyes on him!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment