Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Value of Freshman Football

2016 Titan Freshmen Team Kicking Off to start game with Rockcastle County

Many football programs in KY are moving away from playing a freshman schedule. For us, those freshmen games are a big part of building a program and developing players.

We always try to play a freshman schedule. It can be tough to do, but my experience is that if you don't have a freshman team, your numbers begin to decrease.

When I was at Paris, I had no choice. We had to keep all 4 grades together because our roster was so small.

At Mason and now at Mercer we are in a Frosh/JV conference. We play Frosh/JV doubleheaders every Monday but quarters are only 6 minutes long. That keeps everyone available for Friday night and they play against the most similar competition.

It was an adjustment at Mercer when I wanted non starting juniors to play JV. But, over the years, most of my juniors that played JV contributed or started as seniors. The junior JV QB at Mason one season never threw an interception in 7 varsity starts as a senior. 

In our program, everyone in grades 9-11 should be playing games, and of course the seniors that play a lot. Playing the freshmen games is an important part of our overall plan to develop players.

Since going to Mason, I have let my freshmen practice separately with their own staff and it has worked very well. There is a big difference in a freshman and an upperclassmen. I don't want my young kids getting beat up and discouraged. In my experience, going back to when my Dad coached, the more successful programs keep their freshmen separate.

Some day I may have no choice, but I will fight as hard as I can to play a separate freshman schedule as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment