Sunday, February 12, 2017

Payback... Paris Greyhounds

Congratulations to the Paris Greyhounds basketball team on their All A State Championship!




Here is an excerpt from Black Shoes & White Shoestrings from the chapter on Raymond Webb, which has some good Paris Greyhounds stuff in in it. 

“David, what the hell did they do to you last year?” That was the first time I ever got that question from a football referee. But, this football official was Raymond Webb.  Coach Webb had been the football and wrestling coach at Frankfort High. ......

When Coach Webb became a football official, I always wanted him for our games.  He let our kids play. He wasn’t scared of kids and he wasn’t scared of teams that played a physical brand of football.   The night he asked me that question about the previous year, he told me, “Your kids keep saying, “Payback. Payback.”  Our Paris kids were talking about the 1993 Campbellsville game.  In 93, Campbellsville had been ranked number one in our  and beat us 3 TDs at their place. The 94 game was much different. Our kids played very well and were exceptionally physical.  Some times I felt like officials were scared of how hard our kids hit. With Coach Webb, I would have expected him to call me out if we did not hit. His Frankfort teams liked to hit and he was a great fit with our kids on a Friday night.




No comments:

Post a Comment