Wednesday, August 26, 2026

8 Track & Ready : My wonderful friend, Dale Hamlin

This past Saturday I said good bye to one of the finest people to cross my path in these 61 years on this earth, Dale Hamlin. Dale was a wonderful friend. Big heart and just such a good man. Like happens often in life, as much as I liked him when we were growing up, I grew to appreciate him more and more as the years went by. 

One of my favorite stories on Dale was the summer night in the parking lot next to Pizza Hut. Yes, we were there, just like everyone else across small town America in the 80's.

Dale was a great guy, but back in those days, he didn't have alot of luck with the ladies. On this particular night, one of the prettiest girls in Harrodsburg comes up to me and says her friend(also a pretty young lady) wants to ride in Dale's jeep. Do you think he would care? Now, I knew EXACTLY what his answer would be. But, I thought I would have some fun with it. My response was, "I will ask him." 

Well, you should have seen his face light up when I asked him! He was fired up.  And, always ready, he had his Boston & Journey 8 track tapes ready for this momentous occasion. The next thing I know, Dale and I are riding around Harrodsburg with these pretty young ladies. 

Now, the Vegas odds that morning on Dale having these guests in his vehicle that evening, were long. But, when the opportunity presented itself, he had his music ready for the ride of his life. 

I told my guys at Anderson one morning, some night we will have an opportunity to win a big game and beat a team we are not suppose to beat in the 4th quarter. And, when that opportunity arises, be like Swell Dale Hamlin, be ready. 



Back in 1980, 81 & 82  we didn't realize how good we had it. Playing HS football for Larry French. Getting to wear a red helmet on those Friday nights. The friends we had in our high school and small town. We had it made and we didn't even know it.  And, I can promise you, those days would not have been near as special without Dale Hamlin. 

At 6:43 every Friday night, Ryan Mitchell plays a song of my choic when our team hits the field for Specialties. I will ask him to pick either Peace of Mind or Foreplay/Long Time from the first Boston album for this week's game (8/28/26)... surprise me. I will be thankful for the moment to remember my dear old friend that I miss so much. I am especially grateful that the last few years we reconnected and talked often.

Next time you are out in your vehicle on a warm evening, roll down your window, and listen to BOSTON . Turn it up as loud as you can.  For a second, pretend you are Dale Hamlin. You won't be that cool, but it is still fun to pretend. 









No comments:

Post a Comment