Monday, January 1, 2018

A gift so great.... I never thought it was even possible

Robert Allen Yankey, #11,  playing Quarterback at Greensburg

My Dad's first game as a head football coach was leading the Boyle County Rebels at Greensburg HS versus the Dragons, August 29th, 1969. I was 4 years old and made the trip.  The Rebels did not win a game in 1967 or 1968. 

The Rebels defeated the Dragons that night 14-6. I was so excited I couldn't sleep. Only 4 years old, my mom let me stay up until my Dad got home. I will always remember that game and that night.

The 1969 team went on to finish the season 9-1-1, a huge turn around from going winless two seasons in a row. It was one of the happiest times for my Dad and our family.



Tonight, Lee Glasscock, a senior on that 1969 team, gave me a dvd copy of that game.  I never dreamed I could have a video of my Dad's first game as a head coach. Now I have it thanks to Lee.



2018 is off to a great start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment